Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Favorite 2011 Bead Show Artists & Vendors

For those of you (Anyone? Bueller?) who might want to create a virtual bead show with online shopping, here is a list of my favorite vendors from this year.  Some of the web sites are a little rustic but I am sure if you close your eyes, turn around three times, and say "there is no place like Bead Show," you will get the idea.

I tried to record everything I really loved but I am sure I forgot more than one.  Even though it was only last week, it is already a blur, and my receipts and cards are a mess.  Anyone else who went to the show have faves I missed?

Glass Bead Artists:

Dvora Silberman - beautiful glass, very classy and artistic.

Avenue Beads - I got a number of really nice pieces here - based in Downer's Grove.

Julie Miller - lovely lovely lovely glass.  Little itty bitty vases.  Happy vases.  I did not buy any this time but I WILL.

Patti Cahill - OK, this stuff is in a class of its own.  Whimsical, beautiful, well made, exciting, inspiring.  Sigh.

Beau Barrett - I wanted to buy some of this glass but did not get to at this show, really liked it though, especially the "inside out" beads.

Thornburg Bead Studio - great colors, sense of humor, fun fun fun.  I got some of the squares and discs and am having fun wearing them already.

Marsha Hedrick - wonderful porcelain.


Beads Nest - the web site may be under construction, but the work at the show was wonderful.

Kyoto Studio - unbelievable lampworked flowers.  To die for.

Erin Hook - another web site that is under construction.  Must be busy making beads!  There are some good photos here though, to give you a sense of the talent of this Michigan beader, part of the Michigan Beadworkers Guild (I think, correct me if I am wrong).

Raku:

MAKUStudio - I bought some from this shop last year, and looked longlingly this year.

Lisa Peters - ditto, above.  I hear she was so popular that most of her new stuff sold out the first night of shopping at the show!  Good thing her older stuff is still so AWESOME.

Multi-item stores / beads and materials:

Knot Just Beads - this is an anchor at bead show, with tons of selection, friendly faces and good prices on everything, including Kumihimo supplies.

Funky Hannah's - great selection of seed beads and good overall assortment.  Plus, if you are in the Chicago area, this could be a great actual road trip!

BeadCats - best best best selection of the tiny tiny tiny ones.  Size 15 charlottes, 16 charlottes, antiques.

Beyond Beadery - MASSIVE sead bead selection.

Raven's Journey - incredible selection, reliable provenance of quality Czeck glass.  Plus, Lenka was really nice to us and loved our jewelry.

Victorian Purses by Sue - wonderful collection of Czech seed beads, purse knit and crochet patterns and supplies, as well as Kumihimo.

Multi-item stores / findings:

Silver Dash - Best. Jump Rings. EVER.   Perfect cuts, perfect circles, right ratios of gauge to ring size for strength.  If you could see me, I would be kissing my fingers.



McDuck Creations- McDuck has terrific not-necesssarily-for-beaders bails and findings, so you can wear your beads without having to fuss.

Grain of Sand - wonderful findings, vintage and otherwise.

Nina Designs - silver and gold, silver and gold... well made, timeless designs, a little pricey, but worth it.

Kits and Patterns:


Cynthia Rutledge - as always, Cynthia was there, friendly and encourating.  I have a couple of kits in the works so I did not buy any, but her work is unparalleled, and her instructions are almost as good as taking a class.


Sabine Lippert - Sabine did not have a booth at this show, but she was in a class with me and I have since checked out her kits and patterns. Wowza.

Leslie Frazier - Leslie taught the class I took and sells marvelous kits.  Ingenious, elegant designs. Very good instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment