Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stella's Tab Topped Curtain!

I really could not be more pleased with how this project came out - thanks to Fiona, disasters were averted and a bunch of quilting fabric and flannel became a nice new window covering for our little Stell.   I used a nice web tutorial from here, but had to amend it a little with Fi's help.    As with beading, I am learning that even when in a rush, it is better to rip out messed up work than try to hide it later.  Sigh.

Here is the window, during the day.  The yellow band glows a little in the sun and looks like a nightlight at dusk! 

My dad painted a picture to the right of the window, as he does for all new Petersen kids.  The cow loosely is based on a cool pop up book my mom found at the library. 

Sunday, March 7, 2010

February's Block - Liberated Shoo Fly

Again, it seems a little premature to liberate myself from a discipline I have not yet acquired... but here is installment 2 in our Block of the Month exercize.  I've decided to go "all in" and turn these into a real bed quilt at the end, an owly quilt!


I had a hard time with getting this block to end up at 12 and a 1/2 inches, so I had to add borders which look a little more liberated than I'd like, so I may re-do this if I get a chance.   Here it is on my bulletin board next to its January neighbor Owly.