Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pre-Colombian Party Dress



I started this piece after last year's bead show (!!!) and finally finished it.  It is inspired by Leslie Frazier's Crystal Pave Pendant - actually, it IS Leslie Frazier's Crystal Pave Pendant, folded in half and stitched across the bottom!  I got the inspiration when I was absentmindedly playing with the circular right angle weave disk.  I had just returned from Colombia where the shapes of the pre-Colombian gold-work at the Gold Museum were dancing in my head....


I could not resist the similarity of the shape and the feel from the bronze colored beads.

The little sparkle comes from 2mm Swarovski crystals in a milky lavendar.  The chain is just a single unit right angle weave, which gives the entire thing a rough and tumble look, like it was dug up on an expedition!  I love this thing.  Wore it to a work event last week and got loads of complements, which almost never happens when I wear my work (I usually get "huh, what is that?).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment