Thursday, January 6, 2011

Phew! Finished Shayna's Modern Quilt

This is a 68 X 68 quilt for Miss Shayna's New Room, which features icy blue walls and Cranberry colored accents.  She is 14, and a budding interior designer.  And she has taste, which made this project a real challenge for me!

I chose this pattern while in NYC at the City Quilter, and it seemed modern enough for my sophisticated niece... and off I went, 48 squares, 48 circles, and 48 rectangles!



Mommy: please stop looking at that quilt!  Look at ME!


I wrote the label on sparkly fabric.


The fabrics all came from Quilter's Heaven in Northbrook.  The ladies there are outrageously helpful and put up with me over many visits.  They helped choose the color scheme and forced me to consider more contrast than I was incluned to do, and I am so grateful.  They also saved me lots of dough by cutting thirds instead of halves for me!
I lost the pattern halfway through so I cannot credit the creators of the design here.  Blah.  And tonight, I tried to find the circle applique tutorial I used so I could share it with you and it has disappeared.  It was super awesome, so I may try to replicate it and post it so others can try.  I only scorched my fingers, um, 48 times.

This was a joy to make and I home Shay is cuddled up in it right now.

1 comment:

  1. Sister, this is an exquisite piece of family art! Shayna does cuddle in it every night on the couch watching tv! I posted a photo of the completed room on your facebook page. Feel free to add it here so your fans can see the quilt "in action."

    The more we look at it, the more extraordinary details we notice. It is such a labor of love! xoxoxoxox Kristen

    ReplyDelete