Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cubic Right Angle Weave Stuff...

I am totally and completely obsessed with this stitch.  It keeps me up at night.  I want to stitch it all the time.... is that healthy?  Here is a basic rope with some lovely glass beads my sister-in-law got me in Mexico, and another rope with a window stitched right into the bottom.  These work up much more quickly than regular RAW or herringbone!  I also found out that this stitch has its roots in Southern Sudan, where one of my favorite HRW researchers is right now.  The male beaded corsets apparently included many structural right angle connections.


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're able to do it. I've been trying to get the hang of it for a while without much success. Have read instructions, viewed demo videos. After I complete the first side, I lose track of the other sides to stitch together. Finally used smaller beads, but still was unable to move to next cube

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon:

    What did it for me was to use the house analogy. Keep track of the floor, build 3 walls, then on the last wall you only need one bead to stitch it up, then make sure you cinch up the ceiling by sewing through the 4 top ceiling beads. Then The ceiling becomes the floor of your next cube, you do your three walls,etc.

    Keep at it - it is so gratifying. It vexed me for a looooong time before someone told me the floor walls ceiling thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jobi, I came across your site searing for cubic right angle weave info. I'm in love with this stitch too, and I think it's a healthy obsessions! Love the stuff you've done. I've just recently learned the stitch and have done a couple of pieces and am on the lookout for everything I can do with this stitch.

    I love your house analogy, hadn't heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jobi,

    I feel the same way ever since I finally got the hang of it (Heather Collin video). It seems as though I go into CRAW autopilot when I start new projects.

    ReplyDelete